DC Comics Justice League Blanket

Justice League Front

*Some patterns available here

After my successful Marvel blanket, I figured it was only fitting to follow up with an equally awesome DC blanket. Plus, I really wanted to do as many logos as I could, and DC was just the perfect opportunity to do that. This blanket is a little smaller than my previous ones, at just under 4.5′ wide by 4′ tall. I started it in January 2015 and just finished, at the end of November 2015.

My favorite part of this blanket is that the colors are so bright, which makes every piece really stand out. One issue I ran into when starting was keeping certain colors from blending into the backgrounds. What I ended up doing to combat this was to enclose every pattern in a solid black line, as you can see most clearly on the Superman square here:

Superman

I tried some of the first squares without the black, but the distinctions between the colors really weren’t as clear (which surprised me, since I figured the primary colors are about as distinct as you can get), so I redid them with the black border and found that it was an important step to make the eye see the logos really clearly.

Very excitingly for me, I may have actually found a stitch I like for crocheting images. After much experimenting, I ended up using the same method I did for the Marvel blanket to make these images, except this time I actually went back and forth (like a normal person) instead of cutting the tails every time I reached the end of a row. So this blanket was done with single crochet in back loops only, front loops only, back loops only, etc. And as you can see, the distortion really isn’t that bad. You can mostly see it on the Flash and Martian Manhunter squares, which should have perfect circles instead of the more oval-like shapes they ended up with, but overall the blanket comes across as very well-proportioned, which makes me very happy. Plus, the back looks just as good:

Justice League Back

Finally, in my previous blankets, I put a lot of effort into coming up with something really cool for the borders. With this one, I didn’t want to think about it too much, so I just crocheted 5 rows of grey followed by 3 rows of black around each square, sewed them together, and called it a day. Interestingly, I think that worked out for the best because there’s just so much going on in each square and having more surrounding every square would just be too busy.

And I think that’s all I’ve got for now! Let me know if you have any comments or questions below, and thanks for reading!

“There isn’t much justice on this world. Perhaps that’s why it is so satisfying to occasionally make some” -Martian Manhunter

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s